Program & Schedule
Our program offers you the opportunity to work at the biggest kindergarten in Maldives. Even though this kindergarten is operated by a private organization under the permission of the government, it provides free education for some underprivileged students. The kindergarten has 34 classes in total and approx. around 850 students. You can contribute to the wellbeing of these little kids by teaching them English and by improving their communication and creative skills. Since Friday is an official holiday for Maldivians, on Fridays you will working at the beach by actively taking part in the beach cleaning. This is due to the increasing pollution taking place at the beach due to high tourist activity.
Aims & Objectives
To encourage the local kids to learn English language and to enhance their communication, creative skills through international exposure.
Monday to Thursday
Your typical tasks during the week would include,
- Teaching basic English phrases to local kids
- Teaching songs, dances and drama under the supervision and the guidance of the local teachers
- Coming up with methods to improve their creativity
- Friday is an official holiday in Maldives. Therefore, today you will be working at the beach actively taking part in the beach cleaning.
Participant Criteria & Requirements
Minimum age: -
Maximum age: -
Minimum English level: Basic
CRB required: On Signup
Passport copy required: On Signup
Resume copy required: No
Required qualification: None
- Please make sure that you do not promote any religious faith while teaching or staying in Maldives as it is prohibited by the Maldivian government.
- The project will be more interesting if you are creative
- You should adapt with the kindergarten administration, teachers & children while you are with them. Your are part of a kindergarten that is culturally different from other developing systems.
- You should be organized and daily program will be planned with the aid of the teaching handbooks & coordinator inputs.
- You should be an active person and should be willing to research their lesson planning. Lesson Planning Guides will be available.
- You should be able to interact, communicate with children and teachers of the kindergarten, work as a Team and be cooperative with local coordinator or other participants. Able to adjust to facilities available at the kindergarten.
- Your appearance should be presentable at the project.
- Should be able to gauge the capacity of different students.
- Should you find any difficulty consult our Coordinators.
- Please kindly wear decent clothing when visiting the kindergarten. No-see through clothes, shorts, or low cut tops are permitted.
- Participants below 18 should have parental consent and participants above 65 should have medical clearance to take part in this program.
Living & Location
This little artificial island located in the Kaafu Atoll in Maldives was created with the vision of transforming it to an urban city which would be a haven for the increasing population of the country. At present, it is one of the best locations of the country providing higher standards of living to its residents. Another reason for the popularity of this island is due to its close proximity to the capital of Maldives, Male. Hence, you will be able to buy most of the things that are required for you to have a great time during your stay in Maldives.
You will be accommodated in our center which is few meters away from the ocean. A refrigerator will also be there to place extra food/ beverages that you want to store.
The meals would mainly include typical Maldivian food. Purified water will also be available throughout your stay.
Hulhumale city has super markets where you will be able to buy most of the things you may require. In addition, ATMs are also available for you to withdraw money.
Activities & Events
No scheduled activities outside the program.
Sights & Surroundings
In Hulhumale, some of the famous sights visited by the tourists are the newly reclaimed area and the heritage island where you can visit the Central park and the BBQ area.
In Male city, you can visit the Rasfannu beach, the fish market, the local market Sultan Park and the Museum and the Islamic Center.
From this location we do not provide free transport to other locations.
Name: Republic of Maldives
Population: approx. 373 362
Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa
Time zone: UTC +5
Republic of Maldives is a chain of islands located in the Indian Ocean. Compared to other South Asian countries, Maldives is the smallest, and spans around ninety thousand square kilometers. It also bears the smallest population among the Asian countries. Maldivians mainly practice Islam. Even the legal system of the country is shaped by their practice of Islam.
Due to the stretch of atolls, Maldives is also considered as one of the most dispersed countries in the world. It has a total of 26 atolls. Your visit to this country will be a memorable experience as you will be lucky to enjoy in the golden beaches and crystal waters, travel from island to island and experience the unique lifestyle of the Maldivians.
Maldives has a tropical monsoon climate, and it is also popular for its rich variety of coral reefs and diverse range of fish, whales, dolphins and other forms of sea life. Due to these reasons, Maldives has become one of the top attractions among the travellers worldwide.
Maldives has a tropical monsoon climate. That being said, the climate in Maldives can be divided into two main weather patterns namely, dry and wet seasons. Even though the weather is categorized into two seasons, the temperature throughout the year changes very little. However, the dry season exists from January to around April.
Due to the proximity of this country to South India and Sri Lanka, the culture of Maldives has been influenced by the cultural patterns of these two countries. Particularly, music and dancing has been influenced by India and language has been influenced by Sri Lanka for a certain extent. Like any other Asian countries, nationals of Maldives respect elders while following the Islamic way of living.
In addition, since the descent of the Maldivians can be traced back to several countries such as Sri Lanka, India, Africa, and Arabic countries, the culture represents some characteristics of these countries as well.
Maldivian food is influenced by many countries and mainly consists of rice and fish. Due to the abundance of fish available, they tend to eat varieties of fish prepared in different ways.
In addition, they eat meat except pork on special occasions. Consumption of alcohol is prohibited by law in Maldives.
May/ June: Ramazan
During the month of May or June, the Maldivians celebrate the Ramazan festival. The actual dates and the time of the festival may vary depending on the Islamic lunar calendar. This is the largest religious festival celebrated in Maldives. This festival spans for 30 days and during this time and during this time all Muslim citizens fast during day time. During this festival they celebrate the revelation of the Quran to prophet Muhammad by God.
July: Independence Day
Maldives gained independence from the British on the 26th July, 1965. Since then, the Maldivians celebrate the independence day on the aforesaid date.
September: Eid-ul Al’haa
In the month of September, the Maldivians celebrate a festival named Eid-ul Al’haa which is also named as the festival of sacrifice. The actual date on which the festival is celebrated may vary depending on the calendar.